Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Ren Magazine

When starting my blog, one important thing I had to do is come up with a name for my magazine. I was bouncing back and forth between different feminine adjectives because many beauty and fashion magazines use this as their name, like 'Cosmopolitan' and 'Allure'. However, that just seemed very basic so I wanted to possibly use a name as the title of the magazine, like 'Marie Claire" or "Elle", and that's when it hit me! I wanted to use my last name 'Renslow', but instead of using my whole name I would only use "Ren". I want my magazine to be sophisticated and I thought this name was succinct, easy to say, sounds classy and it fell under the genre characteristics of names for female magazines. However, after I created the name, I wanted to make sure that the name didn't have a different meaning in a foreign country. In America, 'ren' doesn't really mean anything, maybe someone could have the name but it's not an official word. However, when I searched up on google what 'ren' meant, it apparently originates from China, and also has significance in Wales and Japan as well. In China, 'ren' means love or goodness, while in Japan, 'ren' is another name for a Lotus or Lily flower., however, in Welsh it means ruler.

After finding this information out, I realized Ren doesn't mean anything offensive or negative in another language and it actually means some pretty cool different things in different countries, and not to mention I'll still be able to represent my name without directly stating it. I believe this will be a great title for my magazine and it will easily be remembered and even if you're from a different country and see the magazine, it won't be offensive and on the contrary, could be something nice.

So it's official, my magazine is called "Ren Magazine"!

No comments:

Post a Comment